Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Goodbye Munich!

Leaving Munich was a bit sad. I learned so much from the city and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I had certain expectations about Munich; I thought it would be a bit of a sad city brought down by it's history.  Instead it was a vibrant city, full of life and of course history. Munich made me wonder how other German cities such as Berlin will handle it's past.

And so we're off to other German cities! We got to Erlangen today, a small city outside of Nuremberg. I feel like I am in some sort of rom com but without the rom and the com. It's an adorable small city. A lot of it is along a main street where there are small shops, and little cars. We took a guided city tour where we saw the town, beer halls, cellars, the place where they host a beer festival (which by the way is older than octoberfest.)

Tomorrow, we learn more about the Nuremberg trials. I've done some googling and realized I did not know as much as I thought. I am still unsure of why the trails were held in Nuremberg, perhaps they had the space and resources for it and it was as simple as that. Hearing about the mass of horrific trials that took place there I wonder if it is something Nuremberg will try to ignore like in Munich or if the positive connotations of the trials and justice will cause the city to share most of it's history.

No comments:

Post a Comment